In the pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to encourage applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Teaching and curriculum development at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels in both mainstream and enrichment modules taught by the Department;
- Supervision of postgraduate students;
- Research at an internationally competitive level, appropriate to the post level and qualification;
- Academic administration and other duties as determined by the Head of Department;
- Participation in the Department’s strategic initiatives relating to teaching, research and community engagement.
- A Master’s degree in Philosophy;
- Area of Specialisation: Political Philosophy, Ethics;
- At least one year’s tertiary teaching experience ;
- Good interpersonal and mentoring skills;
- A proven research and publishing track record, appropriate to the post level and qualification which the candidate currently has;
- Appropriate language and communication skills.
- Competence in History of Philosophy, Metaphysics, Epistemology, or Philosophy of Economics;
- Applicants already registered for doctoral studies will be given preference;
- Experience of teaching big classes (300+) and teaching enrichment modules to students from other Faculties.
The total remuneration package for this position ranges from approximately R308 187 to R407 986 (excluding medical aid benefits) as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online and to attach the following documentation in support of their application:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names and contact details (telephone and e-mail details) of 3 contactable referees;
- The names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- A brief self evaluation (overview of academic vision, research focus and approach, personal strengths and weaknesses, etc).
Closing date: 7 October 2012
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Enquiries: Prof EB Ruttkamp-Bloem - Tel: (012) 420-2326
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 December 2012, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to make an appointment to the post as advertised.