Edison State College is a vibrant, open-door, baccalaureate degree granting public organization dedicated to educational excellence. At Edison, learning is a creative enterprise designed to encourage each student’s independence, intellectual gifts and thirst for knowledge. Our dedicated faculty teach from the heart, in a caring environment that fosters a sense of adventure, collaboration and respect for others. Located on the gulf coast in southwest Florida, Edison was established in 1962, and is the area’s oldest and fastest growing state college.
We are specifically in need of adjunct professors to teach Philosophy this semester.
The adjunct professor is responsible for providing professional quality work as a teaching faculty member. Work includes conducting and teaching courses within the prescribed curriculum for students enrolled at the College; preparing and delivering lectures to students; compiling, administering and grading examinations; and providing academic assistance to students as needed.
- Teaches courses as assigned by the supervisor in accordance with the course description as outlined in the College calendar, course syllabus, and other approved curricular materials.
- Cooperates with the supervisor in the purchase of appropriate supplies, equipment, library books, textbooks, etc., appropriate to the course(s) taught.
- Completes and submits grade reports, absence reports, veteran's information and other specific reports which may be required by the College in a timely manner.
- Prepares and submits, for the supervisor's approval, an outline for each course taught, in accordance with the College's standard course outline format. This outline must be based on the approved content outline for the course and must be submitted it in time to be approved, duplicated and ready for distribution during the first week of class each term.
- The course outline must be updated at least annually or more often if there are significant course content changes.
- Prepares thoroughly for each class.
- Meets all scheduled classes promptly and teaches for the full time allotted. Provides academic assistance to students as necessary.
- Knows, understands and adheres to the College Catalog, and the District Adjunct Faculty Guide. Becomes familiar with and follows all College procedures, including emergency procedures such as the location of fire alarms, escape routes and exits.
- Is accountable for any keys, furniture, equipment and materials assigned to the employee.
- Models and sustains effective Servant-Leadership and Shared Governance practices which enhance the achievement of the vision, goals, plans and student-centered culture of Edison State College.
These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed; employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required. An employee with a disability is encouraged to contact the Human Resources Office to evaluate the job in greater detail in order to determine if she/he can safely perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
Minimum Qualifications :
- A doctoral or master's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education in the teaching discipline or a master’s degree with a concentration in the teaching discipline (a minimum of 18 graduate semester credit hours in the teaching discipline).
- A demonstrated in-depth knowledge of the subject area to be taught.
- Demonstrated proficiency in oral and written communication in the language in which assigned courses will be taught.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with and maintain positive working relationships with students, peers, supervisors and staff.
- Demonstrated high ethical and moral character.
- Personal and educational philosophy compatible with the goals, objectives, and mission of Edison State College.