The National Hispanic University (NHU) is an accredited institution that has been serving the higher education needs of professionals for more than 30 years. NHU offers on ground and online programs at the Associate's, Bachelor's, and Master's degree levels that are designed to help students achieve their goals so that, as graduates, they can help advance the lives of others.
As NHU grows, we continue its tradition of quality. NHU seeks faculty for General Education program with part-time commitments. Share your professional experience and academic knowledge with students across the country and around the world. With a computer and a high-speed Internet connection, you can teach on your own schedule while maintaining other professional and personal commitments.
The National Hispanic University seeks dynamic, innovative faculty for this contributing (part time) positions in the General Education. One of the key responsibilities of this position is to teach courses.
Areas of specialization:
Biology, Philosophy, History, Psychology, Literature, English, Art, Communications.
What to expect as a NHU faculty member:
Faculty members educate National Hispanic University students by effectively and proficiently using online technology and resources so that knowledge, information, feedback, and critique are imparted to and shared with students in thoughtful, carefully formulated, well written, and timely communications. This is accomplished in an environment that is respectful of student, the Faculty Member, NHU, and the discipline in which the Faculty Member is involved. Faculty Members are expected to adhere to all NHU Faculty expectations, which are clearly set forth to the Faculty Member at the start of his/her employment with the University.
All new Faculty Members receive specific training from the National Hispanic University in the techniques of teaching, use of an electronic learning platform, specifics of the policies, procedures and degree programs of the department in which they are going to teach, socialization into the NHU Familia culture, and assessment of academic integrity of student work.
Faculty Members are assigned courses, which are taught using the Blackboard learning platform, and are responsible for interacting with students within this platform. Discussion Boards for classrooms are open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Although postings to the classroom may be done at any time of day, they must be completed in a timely manner in accordance with the Faculty Handbook or other criteria established by NHU. As such, Faculty Members are expected to be in the classroom a minimum of 4 days per week and responses to student questions must be posted within 48 hours. Faculty Members are required to verify the accuracy of student postings and submissions and to provide feedback and grades to students through the learning platform. In addition, Faculty members will publish their availability to students through the online course. The university suggests regular and predictable availability, such as online office hours or regular online chats.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Faculty members are required to have an adequate computer to handle an electronic learning platform, keyboard, pointing device, and computer monitor. All other tools are knowledge-based or training-based through NHU. The Faculty Member must be able to use Microsoft Office products (MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint), zip software, and Adobe Acrobat and must have reliable Internet access as well as alternate access in cases where primary access becomes unavailable.
Faculty Members must be appropriately credentialed, possess an earned degree from an accredited institution or recognized by a country's ministry of education in the discipline being taught, and may be expected to be licensed or license-eligible in order to teach in specific programs. Faculty Members must maintain their licenses and any appropriate certifications in order to continue to teach at the National Hispanic University. Faculty Members are also expected to maintain currency with research by reviewing articles, journals, and presentations. If participating in research, the Faculty Member may publish and acknowledge the National Hispanic University.
Some travel may be requested (maximally once per quarter
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Earned doctorate prefered, Master degree required in the field of specialization, or closely related field
- Candidates should possess a significant record of intellectual and professional contributions to the field of study
- A minimum of three years of teaching experience at the degree level of the program is preferred
- Commitment to advocating for the learning and development needs of students earning their degrees in a distance learning environment
- Teaching, advising and mentoring; commitment to the promotion of applied research and the recruitment and development of a diverse faculty; excellent leadership, communication, team, and human relations skills.
- Experience with distance learning required.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time
- Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment, but may involve exposure to moderate noise levels. Work involves operation of personal computer equipment for six to eight hours daily and includes physical demands associated with a traditional office setting, e.g., walking, standing, communicating, and other physical functions as necessary. Physical requirements of this position include the following: carrying, near and mid-range vision, visual accommodation, hearing, handling, lifting up to 40 pounds, balancing, field of vision, fingering, crouching, depth perception, and talking.
The primary physical demands are handling a mouse, which requires reaching and handling, using a keyboard, which requires fingering, near vision (20 inches or less), and mid-range vision (more than 20 inches in distance) to focus on the computer monitor, or hard copy as is necessary. Depth perception (the judging of distances and spatial relationships) and visual accommodation (used to do near point work at varying distances) are not necessary to perform the work of the Faculty Member.
The National Hispanic University is an equal opportunity employer. EOE.