Academic Director (EXPIRED)
The Royal Institute of Philosophy
|Job category||Faculty (open rank) / Fixed term|
|Location||London, London, United Kingdom|
|Start date||September 2022|
The Royal Institute of Philosophy is looking to appoint a new Academic Director, to take over from Dr Julian Baggini. We are aiming for a start date of 1st September 2022.
The principal responsibilities of the Academic Director are the organising and implementation of the Institute’s scholarly and educational activities, as determined by the Council and Executive Committee. These activities include the following:
1. Organising, and Chairing the London lectures, typically consisting of sixteen lectures delivered each Friday between October and March.
2. Organising The Annual Debate, hitherto held in association with London University School of Advanced Study ‘Festival of the Humanities’ at the Senate House Building.
3. Organising The Annual Lectures held in London, Cardiff, Dublin, and Edinburgh.
4. Overseeing the publication of the London Lectures, and the four Annual lectures, in a supplement to Philosophy, and as an separate book.
5. Overseeing the work of making lectures and debates available in video and audio form.
6. Overseeing the annual 'Festival of Philosophy', organised by a UK philosophy department, and the publication of its proceedings.
7. The Director is responsible for overseeing the Royal Institute of Philosophy National Network: the Institute sponsors public events throughout the country through our national network of affiliates.
8. The Director is formally responsible for the administration of the Jacobsen Postgraduate Fellowship Scheme and the Jacobsen Schools scheme, for the Institute’s own postgraduate bursary scheme. They will be assisted in this role with a panel taken from the Executive Committee.
9. The Director will, with the Managing Director, oversee various activities such as the London Philosophy Course, Philosophy in Prisons, and new initiatives as they arise.
The Academic Director will provide philosophical expertise and input when needed for the deliverance of our aims. The Academic Director will work with the Managing Director, the Finance Director, the Editors of our journals, Philosophy and Think, a media assistant, and an assistant to the Managing Director. The successful candidate will be expected to oversee an exciting, high quality, range of philosophical activities, and to work to ensure that reach a wide range of audiences, participants and readers. They will be able, and willing, to ensure that a wide range of fields, and a diversity of participants, within philosophy are represented in our outputs.
Location: The office of the Royal Institute of Philosophy is currently in Senate House, Malet Street. The Director will chair the Friday evening lectures – currently being held in Foyles Bookshop. Therefore, it is expected that a successful applicant will live within the London area, or somewhere with reliable and speedy communications to London. While applicants will be able to do some of the Directorial tasks from off-site they should expect to spend some time in London.
Length of Appointment: The appointment will be for a period of three years. If the holder wishes to be considered for a further three year term they may apply for re-appointment.
Applications: To apply for the post of Managing Director, please provide (1) a CV, including the names, positions, and contact information of two referees who can be contacted during the search and (2) a covering letter including your statement of purpose. Both your letter and CV should be in PDF format and can be uploaded here.
The deadline for applications is 5 pm, 20 June 2022.Selected applicants will be invited to interview in early July. Applicants will be expected to show evidence of familiarity with the activities of the Institute and explain further how they would propose to exercise the relevant offices in ways that further its purposes.
Further information about the Royal Institute of Philosophy can be found on our website https://www.royalinstitutephilosophy.org
Remuneration: £15,000 per annum.
|How to apply|
To apply for the post of Managing Director, please provide (1) a CV, including the names, positions, and contact information of two referees who can be contacted during the search and (2) a covering letter including your statement of purpose. Both your letter and CV should be in PDF format.
|Web address to apply||https://members.royalinstitutephilosophy.org/cv-ap...|
|Hard deadline||June 20, 2022, 5:00pm BST|
|Web address for more information||https://www.royalinstitutephilosophy.org/2022/05/2...|
|Contact name||James Garvey|
|Time created||May 27, 2022, 4:17pm UTC|
|Scheduled expiry date||June 20, 2022, 5:00pm BST|
|Expired on||June 21, 2022, 5:46pm BST|
|Last updated||June 21, 2022, 4:46pm UTC|
|Last update notification||
There are no notifications for this ad.
Save the ad using the "save" button below to receive notifications of significant updates.
|Job Market Calendar||
This institution has indicated that the position advertised will not follow the APA's recommended job market calendar. An explanation, if provided, appears below.
This isn't a tenure track position.