Philosophy, Assistant Professor (AA23083)
Minnesota State University, Mankato
|Job category||Postdoc or similar / Fixed term|
|Location||Mankato, Minnesota, United States|
Philosophy, Assistant Professor (AA23083)
Division: Academic Affairs
Department: Arts and Humanities, College of
Unit: Philosophy209, IFO
Employment Condition: Fixed Term
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin on June 29, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.
POSITION: Nine Month Fixed Term Appointment*
Salary Type: Depends on qualifications
Bargaining Unit/Plan: 209, IFO
The Department of Philosophy seeks a Postdoctoral Fellow to serve in the Department of Philosophy and within the College of Arts and Humanities Teacher-Scholar Diversity Postdoctoral Fellowship Program. The fellow will conduct will contribute to the interdisciplinary teaching and scholarship of the department, with a special focus on philosophical perspectives (research or pedagogical) on one or more of the following areas:
• race and ethnicity
• sex and gender
• medical ethics
• social justice and activism
• digital culture
We are interested in applicants who take more traditional ethics or social/political approaches to these areas, as well as those who, for example, are interested in the intersection of these areas with philosophy of mind, philosophy of language, aesthetics, moral psychology, etc.
The Department of Philosophy is currently part of the College of Arts and Humanities, and will be part of a new College of Humanities and Social Sciences beginning in July 1, 2022.
Further information about the Postdoctoral Fellowship Program can be found here: https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcarts.mnsu.edu%2Fabout%2Fcah-post-doc%2F&data=05%7C01%7Clacie.mitchell-garza%40mnsu.edu%7Cc41148dfe5e24ead6a2608da3ffb4641%7C5011c7c60ab446ab9ef4fae74a921a7f%7C0%7C0%7C637892645691563169%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=WiGcuA7yhPrStufUUYTHQnIbqQb7tg9f2%2BteC6FrPaU%3D&reserved=0.
• A typical faculty workload responsibility may include up to twenty four (24) credits of instruction per academic year.
• The successful candidate may need to teach in other areas as assigned and qualified.
• May be expected to develop and deliver face-to-face, hybrid, and on-line instruction at the Mankato campus, online, and/or at the university's additional locations, as assigned.
• The successful candidate will collaborate with colleagues in curriculum design, instruction and evaluation, conduct research productively and mentor students in research, help create innovative strategies for student recruitment, retention, and completion, and may be expected to develop external grant funding opportunities.
• All faculty members are expected to engage in scholarly or creative activity or research, in continuing preparation and study, in contributing to student growth and development, and in providing service to the university and community (See Article 22 and Appendix G of the https://admin.mnsu.edu/human-resources/our-benefits/bargaining-units-and-personnel-plans/http://www.mnsu.edu/hr/bargaining.html.
• Doctorate or terminal degree in Philosophy (conferred on an official transcript and received in Human Resources by August 15, 2022.)
• 1 year of demonstrated experience as the instructor of record in one or more philosophy courses.
• Demonstrated capacity (publications, presentations) for research in philosophical perspectives on at least one of the following: race and ethnicity, sex and gender, class, disability, medical ethics, social justice and activism, digital culture.
• Demonstrated ability to serve a diverse population and apply an equity lens to this position including social justice and/or anti-racism.
• Demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse working and learning environment.
• Demonstrated effective written, oral communication and/or presentation skills.
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching college or university-level classes.
• Demonstrated success or strong potential for productivity in research, creative activity or scholarship.
Work safely at all times, which includes but is not limited to, participating and completing all required safety trainings, as well as performing all job tasks in accordance with Minnesota State University, Mankato policies and procedures utilizing appropriate tools, equipment and personal protective equipment.
The Department of Philosophy offers undergraduate degrees in philosophy and in two interdisciplinary programs: cognitive science, and philosophy, politics, and economics (PPE). The Department also provides significant curricular support to the general education program and to other academic units, including the College of Business. We have a well-established study abroad program with Queen’s University Belfast and sponsor a robust program of internationally prominent guest speakers.
*Please note that this is a fixed-term (non-tenure track) appointment. A fixed-term appointment is an appointment for a limited period of time and is to be used only when the position to be filled is clearly of a temporary nature or when a permanent position needs to be filled for a temporary period. Fixed-term employment terminates at the end of the appointment period and carries no implication for future employment.
Minnesota State University, Mankato is a member of the Minnesota State system. Minnesota State has established a strategic vision, Equity 2030, which aims to close the educational equity gaps across race and ethnicity, socioeconomic status, ability, and geographic location by the end of the decade at every Minnesota State college and university and to provide an opportunity for all Minnesotans to create a better future for themselves, for their families, and for their communities. The focus of the work includes:· Enhancing access and student success.· Providing Minnesota with the talent it needs.· Anchoring the communities and regions we serve.Equity 2030 seeks to bridge efforts occurring within divisions and institutions, creating an intentional statewide culture of equity-minded collaboration and resulting in equitable practice embedded throughout our institutions. The full Equity 2030 plan is linked here. https://www.minnstate.edu/
Equity2030/index.html Minnesota State University, Mankato has identified five broad themes as our basis for discussion in developing our next comprehensive strategic plan. The themes are Serving Students and Managing Enrollment, Focusing our Resources, Offering an Exceptional Student Experience, Caring for Health and Well-Being, and Ensuring a Welcoming, Equitable, and Inclusive University. We seek to attract teacher-scholars who will be culturally and academically diverse faculty members, and staff with a demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. Minnesota State University, Mankato, is student-centered and focuses on applied research that expands knowledge; improves learning; and serves the region, state, and nation.
Founded as a Normal School in 1868, Minnesota State University, Mankato is now the second largest university in Minnesota with a tradition of combining big-ideas with real-world thinking to find solutions for pressing problems in the state, region, and global society. Mankato, Minnesota, is a community of nearly 44,500 people, about 85 miles southwest of the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. The University acknowledges the land and the tribal nations upon this land whose work is being accomplished. We acknowledge that we are on Dakota land. We also take the opportunity to recognize that we live, work, and learn in the homeland of the Dakota people, whose language frames our name—Minnesota State University, Mankato.
Serving approximately 14,000 students annually, the University is an applied research institution, with more than 200 academic programs, from bachelor’s through doctoral degrees. The University is a diverse and global campus with 18% students of color and 1,175 + international students from 95 countries, cutting-edge information technology solutions and extensive partnerships. With 1,600 faculty and staff, including 700 teaching faculty. The University has additional locations and a growing number of on-line programs to accelerate educational access and opportunity. These locations include partnerships in northern Minnesota’s the iron range region. Fast facts about the university can be found here: https://mankato.mnsu.edu/about-the-university/fast-facts/
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: To apply for this position, please continue the process via this website: https://minnesotastate.peopleadmin.com/.
A complete online application will include the following attachments. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the search committee.
• Cover Letter
• Non-Photo Resume/Curriculum Vitae
• Contact Information for three (3) references
• Unofficial Transcript(s) of your highest completed degree
• A brief (no more than one-page) diversity statement defining diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and describing your views and actions toward advancing DEI including dimensions of social justice and racial equity related to race, gender, ability and culture. How would your views and prior actions regarding diversity, equity and inclusion align with Minnesota State University, Mankato’s goals?
• A one (1) page statement of your research/scholarly interests
• Detailed course syllabus(es) for courses taught as the instructor of record (1-3 maximum)
• Scholarly writing sample (e.g. published or draft journal article, book or dissertation chapter)
TTY: 800-627-3529 or 711
*Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization which can be found at: https://admin.mnsu.edu/human-resources/our-benefits/bargaining-units-and-personnel-plans/
NOTICE: In accordance with the Minnesota State Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MN State’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
The Minnesota State University, Mankato Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available for your review. This report is required by federal law and contains policy statements and crime statistics for the University. The policy statements address the school’s policies, procedures and programs concerning safety and security. Three years’ worth of statistics are included for certain types of crimes that were reported to have occurred on-campus, or in other University affiliated locations. This report is available online at: http://www.mnsu.edu/safety/ You may also request a paper copy from University Security at 507-389-2111, or by emailing [email protected]
The following link provides a brief overview of benefits available to eligible employees of Minnesota State University.
Select the IFO Summary (Faculty) link from the list for specifics of that plan.
Posting Number: M236M
Number of Vacancies: 1
Open Date: 06/08/2022
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions Summary:
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3141817
Minnesota State University, Mankato has a long-standing commitment to diversity and is actively seeking to nurture and enrich its underrepresented communities. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. In accordance with USCIS regulations, successful applicants must be legally able to accept work in the United States. Requests for reasonable accommodation of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Office of Human Resources, 507-389-2015 (V), 800-627-3529 or 711 (MRS /TTY ). This Vacancy Notice is available in alternative format upon request. Minnesota State University, Mankato is an affirmative action/equal opportunity University and is a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
|How to apply|
|Web address to apply||https://apptrkr.com/3141817|
|Hard deadline||No deadline specified (applications considered on an ongoing basis)|
|Web address for more information||https://www.mnsu.edu/|
|Time created||June 15, 2022, 7:42pm UTC|
|Scheduled expiry date||December 10, 2022, 8:43pm CST|
|Last updated||June 15, 2022, 7:42pm UTC|
|Last update notification||
There are no notifications for this ad.
Save the ad using the "save" button below to receive notifications of significant updates.
|Job Market Calendar||This institution has confirmed that the position advertised will follow the APA's recommended job market calendar.|