Home page About PhilJobs:JFP

Postdoctoral fellow on the ERC project "Contested frontiers of settler states" (ConFront) (EXPIRED)

Department of Comparative Politics, University of Bergen

Job category Postdoc or similar / Fixed term
AOS Political theory, settler-colonialism, Indigenous rights, "just inclusion"
AOS categories Social and Political Philosophy
AOC Political theory
AOC categories Social and Political Philosophy
Workload Full time
Vacancies 1
Location Bergen, Hordaland, Norway
Job description

There is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow position at the Department of Comparative Politics.

The position is for a period of 4 year. Of that period, at least 75% will be devoted to research and dissemination as an integral member of the exciting, ground-breaking ERC project “Contested Frontiers: Understanding the constitutional politics of settler-state peripheries” (ConFront). The other 25% may involve teaching, supervision, and administrative tasks at the department.

About the project/work tasks:

The project combines political theory, constitutional law, and comparative politics to understand competition – usually between Indigenous peoples and settlers/states – to (re)constitute frontier jurisdictions, especially in the North American Arctic, Fennoscandic north, U.S. Pacific, and Australian tropics. ConFront consists of five team members led by the department’s associate professor of Arctic governance, Aaron Spitzer.

The successful candidate will be based in Bergen, ideally beginning autumn 2024. They will actively collaborate with other team members, will help conduct fieldwork and research dissemination in frontier regions, and will  participate in the department’s Indigenous Peoples and Governance in the Arctic research group.

Candidates are expected to propose and execute a research plan contributing to ConFront’s objectives. A general overview of ConFront can be found here. More specific project details are available from the project leader.

The successful candidate will further be expected to teach and supervise at the bachelor and master levels, and to engage in other tasks at the Department.

Qualifications and personal qualities:

  • Applicants must hold a PhD or an equivalent degree in Political Science, Comparative Politics, Political Philosophy, Constitutional Law, or a related discipline relevant to the project, or must have submitted their doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
  • Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner and demonstrate good collaborative skills.
  • Applicants must be proficient in both written and oral English.
  • Applicants will ideally have experience in – and commitment to – the study of Indigenous, Arctic, or related issues and challenges.
  • Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.

An expert committee will perform a review of the applicants. Based on the expert committee's report, top ranked candidates may be invited to Bergen for an interview and asked to hold a trial lecture on a given topic. 

The successfull candidate is expected to live and work in Bergen and participate in common activities at the Department.

Applicants are advised to familiarize themselves with the teaching and research profile at the Department.

How to apply
Application type Online
Web address to apply https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/254...
Email to apply
Hard deadline February 29, 2024, 11:59pm CET
Contact
Web address for more information https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/254...
Contact name Aaron Spitzer
Contact email
Bookkeeping
Time created December 13, 2023, 6:56pm UTC
Scheduled expiry date February 29, 2024, 11:59pm CET
Expired on March 2, 2024, 12:46am CET
Last updated April 1, 2024, 3:00pm UTC
Last update notification
The application deadline has been extended to February 29.
February 12, 2024, 8:26pm UTC

Save the ad using the "save" button below to receive notifications of significant updates.
Job Market Calendar This institution has confirmed that the position advertised will follow the APA's recommended job market calendar.
Save