Philosophy Instructor (Fresno City College) (EXPIRED)
Fresno City College, State Center Community College District not BA-granting
|Job category||Junior faculty / Tenure-track or similar|
|AOC||Ethics, critical reasoning, logic, and epistemology and metaphysics|
Metaphysics and Epistemology
|Location||Fresno, California, United States|
Philosophy Instructor (Fresno City College)
State Center Community College District
Closing Date: 2/8/2019 at 11:55 PM
Campus Location: Fresno City College
Start Date: 08/08/2019
The ideal candidate will share Fresno City College's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. As of Spring 2018, we currently enroll approximately 24,000 students in which 58% are Latinx, 9% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 6% are Black/African American, 19% are White, 1% American Indian/Alaska Native, and 8% are multiracial. FCC is a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum responsive to the students it serves.
Providing instruction in Philosophy on the Fresno City College campus and/or at off-site community campus locations, the instructor will be responsible for:
• Teaching a full schedule of Philosophy courses including ethics, critical reasoning, logic, and epistemology and metaphysics as assigned;
• Serving on and attending department, college, and district committees as needed;
• Participating in program review, student learning outcome development and assessment to improve student learning;
• Teaching assignments in a variety of instructional settings and times, including evening and/or weekends, on-line or off-campus and large group instruction classes as needed; and
• Otherwise fulfilling all of the duties and responsibilities of instructors as required by Administrative Regulation 7122.
• Master’s in philosophy;
• Bachelor’s in philosophy AND master’s in humanities or religious studies;
• A valid California Community College Credential;
• The equivalent education and/or experience (requires an equivalency).
All candidates must have evidence of responsiveness to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice within the classroom.
• Experience teaching ethics, critical reasoning, metaphysics and epistemology, and logic as well as humanities courses, including classical humanities, modern humanities, and classic myth;
• Demonstrated willingness to serve the department and division on campus committees;
• Commitment to continued professional development in philosophy;
• Knowledge and experience in computer assisted instruction in philosophy;
• Knowledge of current assessment methods and materials;
• Experience working with a diverse student population;
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students and staff;
• Related work and professional experience (e.g., publications and presentations);
• Recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusion of these groups in higher education shape patterns of participation and outcomes;
• Willingness to examine and remediate one’s instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support racially minoritized students;
• Experience and skill with addressing issues of equity in the classroom;
• Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth; and
• Knowledge of the community college and its mission and goals.
Conditions of Employment:
177 duty days per year.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is $55,650 – $83,782 based on education and experience. A doctoral stipend of $2,082 is available. In addition, the District offers an attractive fringe benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for the employee and dependents, and life insurance. Employees are also members of the California State Teacher’s Retirement System (CalSTRS).
Applications will be screened by Human Resources for completeness and to determine which applicants meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement.
From the applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and who have submitted all the required documents by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement, a selection committee will review the candidates who are best qualified based on the minimum and desirable qualifications then determine who will be invited to interview. Interviews are tentatively scheduled for the week of February 25th.
The selection committee will rate responses to the interview questions, teaching demonstration, and writing prompt (if applicable). Based on this rating, a small number of applicants will be selected as the “recommended candidates”. These candidates will be forwarded to the Vice President of Instruction and College President for final interviews which are tentatively scheduled for the week of March 4th.
A hiring recommendation will be made by the College President and forwarded to the Board of Trustees of State Center Community College District for final approval.
State Center Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. It is our pledge to treat all applicants fairly and equitably in the recruitment and selection process. We endeavor to be a service-minded organization and respond to the needs of our applicants.
For more information, contact the Academic Human Resources Office, 1525 E. Weldon Avenue, Fresno, California, 93704, (559) 243-7100. For information on Fresno City College or State Center Community College District, visit our website at www.scccd.edu. Please refer to Position No. 2591 & 2971.
Submission of application and related materials is the applicant’s responsibility and must be submitted through the district’s online applicant portal. The District reserves the right to re-advertise or to delay indefinitely the filling of a position if it is deemed that the applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available. All application materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for disqualification or discharge from employment.
This is a full-time, tenure track position. May fill more than one vacancy.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: http://apptrkr.com/1368918
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
|How to apply|
|Web address to apply||http://apptrkr.com/1368918|
|Hard deadline||February 8, 2019, 11:55pm PST|
|Web address for more information||http://www.scccd.edu|
|Time created||January 14, 2019, 12:42pm EST|
|Scheduled expiry date||February 8, 2019, 11:55pm PST|
|Expired on||February 10, 2019, 12:46am PST|
|Last updated||February 10, 2019, 3:46am EST|
|Last update notification||
There are no notifications for this ad.
Save the ad using the "save" button below to receive notifications of significant updates.
|Job Market Calendar||This institution has confirmed that the position advertised will follow the APA's recommended job market calendar.|