Erasmus School of Philosophy (ESPhil) is looking for 3 PhD students
- You will have completed (or be near to completing) a master’s degree in philosophy by the time that you take up your position.
- You are highly motivated to pursue a PhD in philosophy.
- Your research should contribute to any of the four research projects of ESPhil, see https://www.eur.nl/en/esphil/research/research-projects; preferably, you should also mention a staff member of ESPhil who can be your supervisor: https://www.eur.nl/esphil/people?s=&page=1).
- Your academic work and record demonstrates your capacity to argue rigorously, to structure your ideas clearly, and to engage with academic peers.
- You have a good command of English, and demonstrable social communication and academic writing skills.
- Start the position at the beginning of next academic year (1 September 2019).
- Complete a PhD thesis within the 4-year contract period (0,80 for nearly 5 years is also possible).
- Play an active role in the research community of ESPhil by participating in research seminars, faculty colloquia, lunch lectures, and other events, and organizing research events related to your own research. (https://www.eur.nl/esphil/onderzoek/onderzoeksprojecten).
How to apply
Send your application package, no later than 30 April 2019 by e-mail to: email@example.com. Please mention in the Subject line: PhD Philosophy 2019.
The application package should include two files in PDF format:
- Curriculum Vitae.
- A single anonymized PDF, i.e. your name and other identifying information should not appear anywhere in the file, containing two items:
A. PhD project proposal (maximum: 1,000 words, excl. references);
B. A writing sample (maximum: 1,000 words).
A PhD committee of four staff members will be responsible for the selection of the candidates.
The interviews will be held on Tuesday 28 May and Wednesday 29 May 2019. About one week before this date, you will be informed.
Diversity is one of our strategic priorities. Candidates from an ethnic minority, candidates with an international background and female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
Conditions of employment
This position comes with good employment conditions, compliant with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO NU). The position begins with a temporary employment contract for 14 months in which the candidate’s suitability is evaluated. If the candidate is suitable, then an additional contract of 34 months follows, leading to a total appointment of 4 years. The salary is in accordance with the doctoral candidate scale of the CAO NU. For a full-time appointment, the salary is € 2,325 gross per month during the first year, which will increase annually up to € 2,972 gross per month in the fourth year. In addition, the attractive employment package includes an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%, generous leave provisions for a healthy work-life balance, a good pension scheme, excellent options for collective insurance, and a provision for the use of the Internet at home. The employee may also use a number of campus facilities, such as sports facilities and the library.
Erasmus School of Philosophy (ESPhil)
Erasmus School of Philosophy of the Erasmus University Rotterdam is a leading research and teaching institution in The Netherlands. The faculty is one of the two independent faculties in all Dutch universities. ESPhil has a broad international orientation, with many international students (total number of students is currently about 800), PhDs (about 15), and staff members (about 30), and has connections with universities abroad.
Erasmus University Rotterdam
The expertise of Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) is concentrated in the fields of Business Administration, Economics, Medicine and Health Sciences, Law, Social Sciences, History, Culture, Communication and Media, and Philosophy. In addition to the initial degree programmes and scientific research, the University offers specific postgraduate study programmes and courses. Erasmus University has around 25,000 students and some 2,500 faculty and staff members.