Lawrence C. Gallen Teaching Faculty in the Humanities (EXPIRED)
Augustine and Culture Seminar Program, Villanova University
|Job category||Junior faculty / Fixed term|
Medieval and Renaissance Philosophy
|Location||Villanova, Pennsylvania, United States|
Lawrence C. Gallen Teaching Faculty in the Humanities
Posting Number: 2019648F
Position Title: Lawrence C. Gallen Teaching Faculty in the Humanities
Position Type: Faculty
Location: Villanova, PA
Recruitment Type: Internal/External Applicants
Work Schedule: full-time/9-months
Department: 151-Augustine and Culture Seminar Program
The Augustine and Culture Seminar Program seeks scholars in the Humanities to apply for one (1) full-time, non-tenure track position as the Lawrence C. Gallen Teaching Faculty in the Humanities. The Gallen Teaching Faculty are responsible for teaching three sections per semester of the Augustine and Culture Seminar, a writing intensive interdisciplinary seminar program required of all first year students. The individual is expected to take a leadership role within the ACS program, including committee work and faculty development.
The mission of the Augustine and Culture Seminar is to introduce first-year students to the shared intellectual inquiry that makes a community of scholars. We therefore seek candidates who will engage our students and our faculty in studying questions of common concern in the humanities.
Villanova is a Catholic University sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University’s mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University’s mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• The Gallen fellows are responsible for teaching three sections per semester of the Augustine and Culture Seminar. ACS is a two-semester writing intensive interdisciplinary seminar program, required of all first year students. ACS 1000 focuses on texts of antiquity and the Middle Ages, including Augustine’s Confessions. ACS 1001 continues the emphasis on self in the world through the lens of modernity, starting with Shakespeare and continuing to the present. The course gives attention to the Catholic intellectual Tradition and its ongoing mission to defend the dignity of the human person, recognize the need for human solidarity, and serve the common good Each class is capped at sixteen students. The students are expected to write a minimum of thirty pages per semester.
• Candidates must have a Ph.D. in a Humanities discipline, a strong commitment to teaching and learning in the Liberal Arts, and an interest in teaching the thought of Augustine.
• The Gallen Teaching Faculty help develop and oversee various scholarly activities sponsored by the program, including conferences, faculty workshops, and other projects. In addition, the Gallen fellows contribute to Villanova’s residential Learning Communities.
A Ph.D. in a Humanities discipline should be completed by June 30, 2020. In addition, successful candidates should have significant experience in teaching ACS or a comparable interdisciplinary humanities course.
Candidates who have demonstrated effective and innovative teaching in ACS or a comparable interdisciplinary humanities course will receive preference.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours:
Special Message to Applicants:
Applicants must apply on-line at http://jobs.villanova.edu. All materials must be received by November 1, 2019. Questions about the position can be directed to Dr. Marylu Hill, Associated Professor, Director, The Augustine and Culture Seminar Program at Marylu.firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must include:
• Application letter
• Current and complete curriculum vitae
• Copies of unofficial transcripts (undergraduate and graduate)
• Contact information for three references. We will request letters for interviewees only.
• Statement of Contribution to Mission
• Statement of Teaching Philosophy
• Statement of Research Interests
Posting Date: 09/16/2019
Closing Date (12am ET): 11/01/2019
Salary Posting Information: Competitive
Salary Band: N/A
Job Classification: faculty
Minimum Number of References Needed: 3
Maximum Number of References Needed: 3
1. Cover Letter / Letter of Interest
2. Resume / Curriculum Vitae
3. Statement of Teaching Philosophy
5. Statement of Research Interests
6. Statement of Contribution to Mission
1. Writing Sample/Publications
2. Other Document
3. Other Document (2)
For more information or to apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/1617128
|How to apply|
|Web address to apply||https://apptrkr.com/1617128|
|Hard deadline||November 1, 2019, 11:59pm EST|
|Web address for more information||http://www.villanova.edu|
|Time created||September 23, 2019, 2:46pm EST|
|Scheduled expiry date||November 1, 2019, 11:59pm EST|
|Expired on||November 3, 2019, 12:46am EST|
|Last updated||January 3, 2020, 3:00pm EST|
|Last update notification||
There are no notifications for this ad.
Save the ad using the "save" button below to receive notifications of significant updates.
|Job Market Calendar||This institution has confirmed that the position advertised will follow the APA's recommended job market calendar.|