Assistant Professor (EXPIRED)
Graduate School of Letters, Kyoto University
|Job category||Junior faculty / Fixed term|
|AOS||Open, but Applied Philosophy and Ethics preferable|
|AOC||Science & Religion, Critical Thinking|
Philosophy of Religion
Philosophy of Science
|Location||Kyoto, Kyōto, Japan|
|Start date||1st April 2019|
Content of Job Information:
We are hiring an assistant professor to engage in teaching within the scheme of Liberal Arts and Science to Learn in English of the Institute of Liberal Arts and Science, and in research and administrative activities for both the Center for Applied Philosophy and Ethics (CAPE) and the Graduate School of Letters, Kyoto University.
Graduate School of Letters, Kyoto University
1) The assistant professor will teach two courses in each term: Science and Religion and Critical Thinking within the scheme of Liberal Arts and Science to Learn in English of the Institute of Liberal Arts and Science, Kyoto University. For information on Liberal Arts and Science to Learn in English, see the following web page.
2) The assistant professor will be a member of the Center for Applied Philosophy and Ethics (CAPE) in the Graduate School of Letters, Kyoto University, taking charge of CAPE lectures and seminars and other CAPE research and administrative activities. For information on CAPE and its academic activities, see the following web page.
3) The assistant professor will also be a faculty member of the department of the Graduate School of Letters, Kyoto University, taking charge of the department’s and the school’s research and administrative activities.
4) The assistant professorship will start from 1st April 2019 and last for two years, with the first six months being a probation period. The term of the position can be renewed for a further one year.
All candidates must have a PhD in philosophy at the time of his/her application. Their area of specialization is expected to be in philosophy (an AOS in applied philosophy or ethics is desired but not necessary), while their area of competence should be in philosophy of science and/or religion and critical thinking. They should have the English language capabilities necessary to teach the two courses. Japanese communication skills are also essential for a successful applicant.
1) Working hours and other working conditions are in conformity with the regulations of Kyoto University on working hours, holidays and vacations. The free time system for professionals is to be applied.
2) The amount of salary is also in conformity with the regulations of Kyoto University on salaries of non-tenure faculty members.
3) The employee is to be a member of the national public service Mutual Aid Association. He or she is also to take out employment insurance and industrial accident compensation insurance.
Documents to submit:
1) CV (photo attached)
2) List of research achievements and academic publications (please classify publications into categories such as original papers, international conference papers, books, review papers, and so on)
3) PDF files of three of your major original papers
4) Contents and achievements of your major research projects and their achievements
(to 2 A4-sized pages)
5) Course descriptions for the teaching subjects
6) Names and contact information of two referees
Note: All documents are to be written in English or Japanese.
Documents should be sent as digital files attached to e-mail to: ydeguchi [at] bun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
The application deadline is 24:00 (Japanese Standard Time) 31st July 2018.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in both Japanese and English either via Skype or on campus. During the interview process applicants will be asked to give trial lessons.
We strongly encourage and welcome applications from non-Japanese researchers.
Yasuo DEGUCHI, professor of philosophy
ydeguchi [at] bun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
(Replace “[at]” with “@”.)
|How to apply|
|Email to apply|
|Hard deadline||July 31, 2018, 11:59pm JST|
|Time created||June 7, 2018, 11:38am EST|
|Scheduled expiry date||July 31, 2018, 11:59pm JST|
|Expired on||August 2, 2018, 12:46am JST|
|Last updated||March 14, 2019, 3:00pm EST|
|Last update notification||
There are no notifications for this ad.
Save the ad using the "save" button below to receive notifications of significant updates.
|Job Market Calendar||
This institution has indicated that the position advertised will not follow the APA's recommended job market calendar. An explanation, if provided, appears below.
No explanation available