Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor
School of Philosophy and Social Development, Huaqiao University
|Job category||Faculty (open rank) / Tenured, continuing or permanent|
|AOS||Asian Philosophy, esp. Chinese Philosophy, Comparative Philosophy|
|AOC||Applied Philosophy, Philosophy of Science and Technology, or Bioethics|
|Location||Xiamen, Fujian, China|
|Start date||September , 2020, or earlier|
The School of Philosophy and Social Development at Huaqiao University, Xiamen, China, invites applications for a position in philosophy. The position is a mid-to-long term teaching and research position, which means one should work at Huaqiao University for two full semesters (each semester lasts for 20 weeks) a year. The contract will be renewed annually or open-ended. Candidates who have some Chinese language ability will be preferred.
One’s work at Huaqiao University includes the following:
1) Help the School of Philosophy of Social Development to build the International Graduate Degree Program in (Chinese) Philosophy.
2) Deliver lecture courses in Chinese Philosophy, including Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism, Comparative Philosophy, etc, to international and Chinese students pursuing advanced degrees in Philosophy; teach advanced seminars in Western Philosophy. All courses should be taught in English. Workload: Two courses per semester.
3) Publication of research papers in international academic journals.
4) Participate in campus and community events. Deliver two public lectures each semester; Collaborate with colleagues of the School of Philosophy and Social Development to address teaching and research issues;
5) Promote internationalization of the institution.
Huaqiao University will provide:
1) Annual salary ranges from 190,000RMB to 250,000RMB for young professionals (or approximately 27,000—35, 700 US dollars), higher for more experienced professionals (final figure will be negotiated individually) ;
2) Housing Support
3) Working space
4) Working Permit in China and Insurance
5) Startup Research Funding (Starting from 30,000 RMB)
The applicants should send application materials to Prof. Li Zhongwei before 20th, Feb, 2020.
About the Institution
The School of Philosophy and Social Development at Huaqiao University was founded in September 2009. It is a relatively young school that evolved from several former institutes. Since its foundation, our school has become home to one of the most important programs in Southeast China and one of the fastest growing programs nationwide.
The School has 35 permanent academic faculty members, 30 in the department of philosophy and 5 in the department of sociology respectively. We already have an international faculty member who specializes in Analytical Philosphy. The School is also home to more than 100 undergraduate and 100 graduate students.
The School is firmly committed to excellence in teaching, offering a wide range of programs at undergraduate and graduate level. At undergraduate level, we currently offer a program leading to a B.A. degree in Sociology, and in September 2013, we start a program in philosophy. At the graduate level, we offer programs in different research areas leading to a Master degree and a PhD in philosophy.
The Department of Philosophy of the School has several divisions concentrating on the following research areas: Chinese Classical Philosophy, Ethics, Marxist Philosophy, Philosophy of Religion, Philosophy of Technology, Western Philosophy (several faculty members work in philosophy of language and logic, philosophy of mind, political philosophy, ancient Greek philosophy, medieval philosophy, early modern philosophy, and phenomenology).
It is also worth emphasizing that our School of Philosophy and Social Development at Huaqiao University is located in the beautiful coast city of Xiamen, southeast China. For more information, please check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiamen.
Dr. Li, Professor, Department of Philospohy, Huaqiao University
Mr.Hong, Human Resources, Huaqiao University
IMPORTANT: All correspondence should be addressed to Prof. Li AND copied to Mr.Hong
|How to apply|
Application materials should include 1) letter of application, one page, 2) CV (with references), 3) two writing samples (published or not), 4) two sample syllabi. Interview via Internet will be arranged immediately after the deadline. It is preferred that the successful applicant can start work from September, 2020, or earlier.
|Email to apply|
|Deadline for full consideration:||February 20, 2020, 11:59pm CST|
|Hard deadline||No deadline specified (applications considered on an ongoing basis)|
|Web address for more information||https://spsd.hqu.edu.cn|
|Contact name||Zhongwei Li|
|Time created||December 16, 2019, 4:17pm EST|
|Scheduled expiry date||June 30, 2020, 1:28am CST|
|Last updated||December 16, 2019, 10:05pm EST|
|Last update notification||
There are no notifications for this ad.
Save the ad using the "save" button below to receive notifications of significant updates.
|Job Market Calendar||
This institution has indicated that the position advertised will not follow the APA's recommended job market calendar. An explanation, if provided, appears below.
The Chinese academic calendar is different from the American one.