Visiting Assistant Professor of Philosophy (EXPIRED)
University of Puget Sound
|Job category||Visiting fellowship / Professorship / Fixed term|
|AOC||Ancient Greek Philosophy, and at least one of the following: Formal Logic, 17th- and 18th-Century Philosophy|
Ancient Greek and Roman Philosophy
Early Modern Philosophy
|Location||Tacoma, Washington, United States|
University of Puget Sound
Visiting Assistant Professor of Philosophy
Job ID: 5686
Faculty Posting Details
Appointment: One-year visiting assistant professor in Philosophy for the 2021-22 academic year.
Responsibilities: Teach five courses for the year, to include Introduction to Philosophy, Ancient Greek Philosophy, and at least one of the following courses:
AOC: Ancient Greek Philosophy; and at least one of: Formal Logic, and 17th- and 18th-Century Philosophy
Ancient Greek and Roman Philosophy
Early Modern Philosophy
Qualifications: A doctoral degree (ABD considered) in Philosophy and a commitment to liberal arts education are required.
Application Deadline: Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified. Interested individuals are encouraged to submit application materials no later than April 1st, 2021 to ensure full consideration.
• Letter of interest
• Curriculum vitae
• Writing sample
• Research statement
• Teaching portfolio (including teaching statement, teaching evaluations, and sample course syllabi).
• Diversity Statement (see details below)
• Unofficial transcripts (i.e., a list of graduate classes taken—it can be included in the C.V.)
• Three (3) Letters of Reference. You will be asked to specify the email addresses of reference providers at the time of application and the system will email these providers on the next business day.
Note: In the online application system, please submit curriculum vitae when prompted to submit resume. Additional documents can be attached within the application.
Applicant's Diversity Statement:
As a department and university, we are strongly committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, and working environment for all. In the applicant's diversity statement, applicants should comment on their ability to contribute meaningfully to our on-going commitment to be informed and competent with regard to issues of diversity, equity, and individual differences. We encourage applicants to reference the University of Puget Sound's current Diversity Strategic Plan (DSP) at http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/diversity-at-puget-sound/diversity-strategic-plan/ prior to writing this statement. While not an exhaustive list, the following are some ways applicant's can express their qualification:
• Your lived experiences and/or identities that speak to the department and university's commitment to inclusion and diversity;
• Demonstration of your awareness of inequities for underrepresented student populations in education, research experience, and other opportunities;
• Brief insights on why diversity is important at institutions like the University of Puget Sound;
• Infusion of diversity and diversity-related issues into your research, pedagogy, and/or service;
• Previous and/or current activities involving mentoring underrepresented student populations;
• Creative ideas or strategies you could enact as a member of the University of Puget Sound campus community to support the university's DSP;
• Brief insights on how cultural competency increases one's effectiveness as an educator and department/university colleague.
Compensation and Benefits:
Rank: Visiting Assistant Professor
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package. For more information, visit: http://www.pugetsound.edu/about/offices--services/human-resources/overview-of-university-benefit/.
About Puget Sound:
The mission of the University of Puget Sound is to develop in its students the capacities for critical analysis, aesthetic appreciation, sound judgment, and apt expression that will sustain a lifetime of intellectual curiosity, active inquiry, and reasoned independence. Puget Sound is a 2,600-student, residential, national undergraduate liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing students from virtually every state and several countries. 65% of students live on the 97 acre campus and the remainder typically live within a mile in the surrounding neighborhood. A low student-faculty ratio provides students with personal attention from faculty members who have a strong commitment to teaching. The university offers 1,200 courses in more than 50 areas of study, numerous experiential learning opportunities, 23 D-III varsity sports, and extensive co-curricular and leadership opportunities. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. In 2012, Puget Sound was named as one of 40 schools in Colleges that Change Lives.
Puget Sound has a well-established Shared Faculty Appointments Policy, https://www.pugetsound.edu/gateways/faculty-staff/faculty-policies/shared-faculty-appointments/.
University Diversity Statement
• We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.
• We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.
• We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background inquiry.
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: https://apptrkr.com/2171454
About Puget Sound
Puget Sound is a selective national liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing 2,600 students from 48 states and 20 countries. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. A low student-faculty ratio provides Puget Sound students with personal attention from faculty who have a strong commitment to teaching and offer 1,200 courses each year in more than 40 traditional and interdisciplinary fields, including graduate programs in occupational and physical therapy and in education. Puget Sound is the only nationally ranked independent undergraduate liberal arts college in Western Washington, and one of just five independent colleges in the Pacific Northwest granted a charter by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honorary society. Visit "About Puget Sound" (http://www.pugetsound.edu/about) to learn more about the college.
As a strategic goal and through our core values, University of Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. EOE/AA
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
|How to apply|
|Web address to apply||https://apptrkr.com/2171454|
|Deadline for full consideration:||
March 31, 2021, 8:00pm PST
(applications under review)
|Hard deadline||No deadline specified (applications considered on an ongoing basis)|
|Web address for more information||http://www.pugetsound.edu|
|Time created||March 3, 2021, 5:23pm UTC|
|Scheduled expiry date||September 18, 2021, 3:43pm PST|
|Expired on||September 18, 2021, 3:46pm PST|
|Last updated||November 18, 2021, 3:00pm UTC|
|Last update notification||
There are no notifications for this ad.
Save the ad using the "save" button below to receive notifications of significant updates.
|Job Market Calendar||This institution has confirmed that the position advertised will follow the APA's recommended job market calendar.|