Postdoctoral Fellow and Coordinator for Measurement and Evaluation in the Professional Schools
Program for Leadership and Character, Wake Forest University
|Job category||Postdoc or similar / Fixed term|
|AOS||Character, Virtue Ethics, Empirical Research, Moral Psychology|
|Location||Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States|
|Start date||Fall 2022 or nearest date|
The Program for Leadership and Character at Wake Forest University is seeking an exceptional individual as a postdoctoral fellow and research coordinator for measurement and evaluation in the professional schools. The fellow will work with an interdisciplinary research team conducting innovative and potentially transformative research on cultivating character and leadership among students in the professional schools at Wake Forest University (e.g., School of Law, School of Medicine, and School of Divinity).
This position is supported by a multi-year grant from the Kern Family Foundation. The successful candidate will be offered up to a 4-year term, with the potential for funding beyond the initial term.
Essential Functions of the Postdoctoral Fellow:
- will report to, and work closely with, the Senior Research Scholar in the Professional Schools to design and analyze multiple research studies;
- conceptualize innovative and creative ways to measure and evaluate key constructs and facets of the Program;
- coordinate multiple studies, involving but not limited to: developing and maintaining relationships with stakeholders, ethical compliance, participant recruitment and management, administering surveys, conducting research interviews, and facilitating focus groups;
- carry out all aspects of data management of multiple quantitative and qualitative datasets;
- conduct a range of quantitative and qualitative analyses;
- contribute to, and at times lead, the writing of manuscripts (e.g., journal articles, chapters, research reports);
- manage and mentor student research assistants.
Required Education, Disposition and Skills:
- Ph.D. in a social science field, including but not limited to psychology, human development, education, sociology, economics, political science or philosophy;
- strong and demonstrated analytical skills, with experience using qualitative and/or quantitative methods in empirical research;
- excellent writing, research, and communication skills.
- have a strong work ethic;
- be highly collaborative and enjoy working as part of a research team;
- be flexible, creative and open-minded about research approaches and methodologies;
- be attentive to detail and context;
- have strong time management skills to be involved in multiple ongoing research projects (at different stages in the research process), and the ability to follow through with high work quality and consistency of effort;
- be open to being mentored and given constructive feedback;
- be interested and able to learn quickly and independently;
- be willing to follow direction and eventually take on leadership of research as experience is gained on the job.
In the Cover Letter, please share your experiences and responses to the following:
- while we do not expect candidates to have necessarily worked or conducted research in the substantive area of leadership or character education, we would like you to articulate the nature of your interest in this area of research and in this particular Program;
- if you have conducted research using exclusively quantitative or qualitative methodologies, please make a case for your attitude towards using both approaches during this project, and how you intend to close any gaps in your methodological expertise (The Program is prepared to provide the successful candidate with funds to develop relevant methodological skills);
- provide examples of high-level organizational, administrative and interpersonal skills;
- provide examples (if relevant) of coordinating and managing multiple studies simultaneously.
In the Research Statement, please propose and outline some of the measurement and evaluation work you can imagine doing (or would like to do) in your role (taking into account the goals of the program from the website, and the outlined job functions and required dispositions and skills).
- Please give examples of between 2-4 research studies that you might design for the professional schools, and outline the measurement and evaluation methods and procedures you would envisage using, and any potential pitfalls you could see;
- If possible, describe how technologies, techniques and methodologies that are new and possibly uncommon in the social sciences, could be valuable in answering research questions that might be relevant to the cultivation of leadership and character in the Professional Schools;
- Talk about how the research experience and skills that you have (and any you would like to develop/get trained in), would be valuable in measurement and evaluation particularly within the context of leadership and character education in the Professional Schools.
Required documents to be submitted at the time of application (candidates are encouraged to apply by July 15th, 2022. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered):
- Cover Letter (no more than 2 pages and addressed to the members of the search committee)
- Curriculum Vitae
- 2 writing samples demonstrating your research expertise (with at least 1 illustrating some of your methodological expertise)
- Research Statement (no longer than 3 pages)
- 3 confidential letters of recommendation to be sent via email to [email protected] within 2 weeks of applying.
To apply, go to:
About the Employer
Wake Forest University, formed in 1834, has experienced decades of growth and innovation. WFU is a distinctive university that combines a liberal arts core with graduate and professional schools and innovative research programs. The University embraces the teacher-scholar ideal, which prizes the personal interaction between students and faculty. It is a place where exceptional teaching, fundamental research and discovery, and the engagement of faculty and students in the classroom and the laboratory are paramount.
Wake Forest University is a community of people that seeks the enlightenment and freedom which come through diligent study and learning. Its higher goal, however, is to give life to the University motto "Pro Humanitate," as members translate a passion for knowledge into compassionate service. The community shares a tradition that embraces freedom and integrity and acknowledges the worth of the individual. The heritage, established by the school's founders and nurtured by succeeding generations, promotes a democratic spirit arising from open-mindedness and discourse. Wake Forest fosters compassion and caring for others. Its collective strength and character are derived from the values and distinctive experiences of each individual; therefore, it affirms the richness of human intellect and culture and its contribution to knowledge, faith, reason, and dialogue. Furthermore, it strives toward a society in which good will, respect, and equality prevail. To that end, Wake Forest University rejects hatred and bigotry in any form and promotes justice, honor, and mutual trust.
With the aim of educating the whole person, the University has established an innovative Program for Leadership and Character which works to create impactful programming and courses to help students develop the character needed to lead creatively and humanely in an increasingly complex world. The Program is based on cutting-edge academic research on leadership and character, including research conducted by Wake Forest faculty in various fields who are leading experts on the study of character. Over the last few years, the Program has received major grants and gifts to develop leaders of character at Wake Forest University. The Program also supports other colleges and universities who seek to promote leadership and character on their campuses. For more on the Program for Leadership and Character, see https://leadershipandcharacter.wfu.edu/.
The University is comprised of: the undergraduate college, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, School of Business, School of Divinity, School of Law, and School of Medicine (located on the Bowman Gray campus with Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center) and today enrolls about 4,846 undergraduates and 2,823 students in graduate programs at its principal location, the Reynolda campus. Students at Wake Forest University enjoy a great deal of access to and interaction with world-class faculty both in and out of the classroom setting with a student-faculty ratio of 11:1. Wake Forest employs approximately 2,772 full and part-time faculty and staff.
Wake Forest is a collegiate university offering a vibrant, intellectual community with a rich cultural life, an impressive array of facilities, and a strong athletics program competing in the fifteen-team Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). Since its founding, the university has adopted the motto “pro humanitate,” which is exemplified by a deep institutional commitment to public service and engagement with the world. Wake Forest has a strong commitment to holistic, eight-dimensional well-being for students, faculty and staff as evidenced in the Thrive initiative.
Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce while promoting an inclusive work environment committed to excellence in the spirit of Pro Humanitate. In adherence with applicable laws and as provided by University policies, the University prohibits discrimination in its employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, disability and veteran status and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.
|How to apply|
|Web address to apply||https://wfu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Staff_Care...|
|Email to apply|
|Deadline for full consideration:||
July 25, 2022, 12:00am EST
(applications under review)
|Hard deadline||No deadline specified (applications considered on an ongoing basis)|
|Web address for more information||https://wfu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Staff_Care...|
|Contact name||Ananthi Al Ramiah|
|Time created||June 23, 2022, 8:44pm UTC|
|Scheduled expiry date||December 19, 2022, 9:33pm EST|
|Last updated||June 23, 2022, 8:44pm UTC|
|Last update notification||
There are no notifications for this ad.
Save the ad using the "save" button below to receive notifications of significant updates.
|Job Market Calendar||This institution has confirmed that the position advertised will follow the APA's recommended job market calendar.|