Postdoc position in theories of technology and ethics (EXPIRED)
Department of Philosophy, University of Twente
|Job category||Postdoc or similar / Fixed term|
|AOS||Ethics, Philosophy of Technology|
Philosophy of Computing
|Location||Enschede, Overijssel, Netherlands|
|Start date||As soon as possible, but no later than January 1st, 2023|
The department of philosophy of the University of Twente is looking for a
Postdoctoral researcher (2 years)
to investigate how theories of technology and its relation to society can inform and transform ethics
Application deadline: September 22nd, 2022
The aim of this postdoc project is to investigate how theories and approaches that concern the interactive relationship between technology and society and technology and human beings, as found in philosophy and STS in particular, can inform ethics, specifically the ethics of technology. There will be a particular focus on socially disruptive technologies: technologies that transform everyday life, social institutions, cultural practices, and potentially even fundamental beliefs and values. The successful candidate will carry out at least three of the following investigations:
- Critical assessment and comparison of the most promising theories and approaches in philosophy and STS on the interaction between technology and society (at micro, meso and/or macrolevels)
- Critical assessment of theories of the relation between technological artifacts and impacts, and between artifacts and values
- Analysis of the role of social structures, artifacts and other nonhuman entities in major theories and approaches in normative ethics
- Investigation of implicit conceptions of the role and status of technology in different approaches in the ethics of technology (e.g., deterministic, neutral, or other)
- Development of novel approaches to ethics of technology that incorporate theories of the relation between technology and society and of the relation between artifacts, impacts & values, and of the relation between social and technological structures and ethical issues.
- Assessment of how different types of social disruption by technology raise different types of ethical issues (e.g., disruption of work practices, social institutions, cognitive processes)
This PhD postdoc position is part of the Ethics of Socially Disruptive Technologies (Esdit) programme (https://www.esdit.nl/), a ten year long international research programme of seven academic institutions in the Netherlands that has started in January 2020. This ten-year programme has a combined budget of € 27 million, and is funded by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research in the Gravitation funding scheme for excellent research, and by matching funds from the participating institutions. It has the aim of achieving breakthrough research in at the intersection of ethics, philosophy, technology / engineering and social sciences, and to position its consortium at the top of its field internationally. In Esdit, we aim to innovate the ethics of technology so that we can critically evaluate and guide the development, introduction and use of current and future socially disruptive technologies.
The main output for this postdoc consists of academic publications. The postdoc will also engage in investigations of the approaches used by researchers in the Esdit programme, and will engage in dialogue with other researchers, make recommendations regarding their approaches and methods, and potentially contribute to a whitepaper on methods and approaches.
CANDIDATES WE SEEK
- hold a Ph.D. in philosophy, science and technology studies (STS), or a related field;
- have experience in research, which is apparent from publications in highly ranked academic journals, presentations at international scientific conferences, and other academic activities;
- possess expertise relevant to the project
- possess good communication skills and an excellent command of English, at least at C2 level;
A two-year full-time postdoc position, starting as soon as possible, but no later than January 1st, 2023. Gross salary is € 3.557,- to € 5.439,- per month, depending on experience. On top of this, you receive a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus. You will have a budget for traveling to TechEthos workshops and to international conferences. We offer excellent auxiliary terms of employment, such as professional and personal development programs; a secondary remuneration package; a dynamic environment with enthusiastic colleagues; and an organization focusing on internationalization and a high degree of responsibility and independence.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Your application should include the following documents:
For inquiries about the position, please email Philip Brey at [email protected] or Jeroen Hopster at [email protected]. Please apply via the following link: https://utwentecareers.nl/en/vacancies/751/postdoc-position-in-theories-of-technology-and-ethics/
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
The University of Twente (UT) is a research university with a strong international orientation and a focus on science & engineering and social and behavioral sciences. It includes more than 3,300 faculty and staff and 10,000 students. Its motto “high tech, human touch” expresses the aim of combining research in engineering with social and behavioral sciences. The UT is a campus university, located in the city of Enschede, in the east of the Netherlands. Enschede is a lively city of 150,000, located in beautiful countryside and near spectacular nature areas. It is only two hours away from major European cities like Amsterdam, Cologne and Düsseldorf, three hours from Brussels and less than six hours by land (or one hour by air) from Berlin, Paris and London.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our university. We are committed to enhancing and sustaining diversity in the composition of our staff. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
|How to apply|
Your application should include the following documents: • a cover letter which explains your interest in the position and your qualifications for it; • a curriculum vitae which includes the name and e-mail address/telephone number for at least two references. • a writing sample (preferably a published article related to the position); • either a summary and table of contents of your dissertation or the entire dissertation.
|Web address to apply||https://utwentecareers.nl/en/vacancies/751/postdoc...|
|Hard deadline||September 22, 2022, 11:59pm CET|
|Web address for more information||https://utwentecareers.nl/en/vacancies/751/postdoc...|
|Contact name||Philip Brey and Jeroen Hopster|
|Contact phone||[email protected]|
|Time created||August 8, 2022, 4:20pm UTC|
|Scheduled expiry date||September 22, 2022, 11:59pm CET|
|Expired on||September 24, 2022, 12:46am CET|
|Last updated||September 23, 2022, 10:46pm UTC|
|Last update notification||
There are no notifications for this ad.
Save the ad using the "save" button below to receive notifications of significant updates.
|Job Market Calendar||This institution has confirmed that the position advertised will follow the APA's recommended job market calendar.|