Director of Ethical Reasoning in Action (EXPIRED)
James Madison University
|Job category||Administration (non-academic) / Tenured, continuing or permanent|
|Location||Harrisonburg, Virginia, United States|
Director of Ethical Reasoning in Action
Ethical Reasoning in Action embodies and complements the University mission as we promise to prepare students to be “educated and enlightened citizens who lead productive and meaningful lives.” JMU already values and promotes integrity within its community, yet the complex society which our graduates enter calls us to do more. We aim to answer this call wholeheartedly through coordinated and enhanced curricular and co-curricular opportunities that employ an eight-question ethical reasoning framework.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director is responsible for the work of the Madison Collaborative: Ethical Reasoning in Action (ERiA), which includes:
• Advocating for ethical reasoning and the 8 Key Question (8KQ) strategy on campus, nationally, and internationally, with a focus on connecting ERiA with an external audience and broadening its reach beyond campus and forming external partnerships.
• Creating/developing new initiatives in response to perceived shifts in the educational landscape insofar as they serve ERiAs goal to increase ethical reasoning and use of the 8KQ strategy on campus and nationally.
• Working effectively across divisions on campus.
• Engaging in ethical reasoning scholarship relevant to the applicant’s field.
• Teaching ethical reasoning in a way that is relevant to the applicant’s field.
• Working with various partners to apply ethical reasoning across professional domains.
Primary goals for ERiA and for the Director are to:
• Increase student competence in ethical reasoning by partnering with faculty and programs on campus.
• Increase national and international awareness of JMU’s distinctive 8KQ strategy by presenting at conferences and publishing in journals.
• Explore new lines of research investigating ethical reasoning and the 8KQ.
• Apply for grants that support new academic initiatives and programs.
• Partner with institutions outside of JMU for faculty training and program implementation.
The Director leads and oversees initiatives, such as:
• It’s Complicated
• Ethical Reasoning on Campus
• Ethics in Action
• Ethical Reasoning Core Workshops
• Communication and marketing through newsletters and social media
• Ethical Reasoning Educator program
• Faculty Fellow program
Other duties include:
• Working with the Center for Assessment and Research Studies (CARS) on assessment of ‘It’s Complicated.’
• Serving as a supervisor for Assistant Director, graduate assistant, Faculty Fellows, and Ethical Reasoning Educators
• Managing ERiA’s budget
• Collaborating with faculty and staff to provide on-campus training
• Collaborating with programs and institutes on campus
• Representing ERiA on committees and in meetings
• Serving on the University Studies Leadership Team
• A terminal degree in philosophy or a related field with significant experience in ethical reasoning
• Documented expertise in the 8 Key Question ethical reasoning strategy
• Strong teaching experience at the college level
• A record of progressive administrative experience
To learn more and to apply, go to joblink.jmu.edu and reference posting F2117 or go to https://apptrkr.com/4028415. Review of applications begins 2/16/2023. Salary is commensurate with experience.
James Madison University is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.
|How to apply|
|Web address to apply||https://apptrkr.com/4028415|
|Hard deadline||No deadline specified (applications considered on an ongoing basis)|
|Web address for more information||https://www.jmu.edu/|
|Time created||March 27, 2023, 9:05pm UTC|
|Scheduled expiry date||September 19, 2023, 6:43pm EST|
|Expired on||September 19, 2023, 6:46pm EST|
|Last updated||November 19, 2023, 3:00pm UTC|
|Last update notification||
There are no notifications for this ad.
Save the ad using the "save" button below to receive notifications of significant updates.
|Job Market Calendar||This institution has confirmed that the position advertised will follow the APA's recommended job market calendar.|