The Center for Medical Ethics & Health Policy at Baylor College of Medicine and the Houston Methodist Hospital System Biomedical Ethics Program are seeking applicants for our full-time clinical ethics fellowship.
The Clinical Ethics Fellowship Program
This competitive 2-year fellowship offers the opportunity to train with the Center’s nationally renowned faculty and staff who lead premier Clinical Ethics Consultation Services at adult, private, and public hospital systems in the Texas Medical Center.
This fellowship offers a competitive stipend, excellent benefits, and opportunities for continued professional development. Upon completion of this fellowship, fellows will have the skills, training, and experience to make them competitive for positions in clinical ethics and academic bioethics.
Our Fellowship Offers
- Comprehensive training in clinical ethics consultation including the opportunity to observe and independently conduct ethics consultations for a high-volume Clinical Ethics Consultation Service (~450 consultations per year) at the Houston Methodist Hospital and its affiliates, including on-call duties.
- Participation in Biomedical Ethics Committee and subcommittee meetings
- Participation in educational activities related to our undergraduate and graduate medical curricula; including the award-winning ethics track program
- Preparation and delivery of presentations on clinical ethics-related topics for clinical audiences
- Faculty mentoring on educational development, teaching skills, and research
- Opportunities for collaboration on scholarly projects
- Terminal post-graduate degree (JD, PhD, MD, or equivalent)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, working both independently and collaboratively to achieve mission goals and deadlines
- Strong presentation and teaching skills
Center for Medical Ethics & Health Policy at Baylor College of Medicine
The Center for Medical Ethics & Health Policy comprises 15 primary faculty members, three of whom hold endowed positions, and 19 support staff, housed in newly renovated space on the main Baylor campus.
Our Center’s faculty teach in the undergraduate and graduate medical curricula, direct an award winning ethics track for advanced medical students, and are currently developing a new, comprehensive College-wide graduate medical education curriculum in ethics, professionalism, and health policy. Center faculty are actively engaged in funded research supported by NHGRI and NCI of the NIH, PCORI, and private foundations. Our faculty have published more than 700 papers in the peer-reviewed scientific, clinical, and bioethics literature and have authored and edited several seminal books in bioethics. Finally, our faculty are involved in national clinical ethics initiatives and frequently publish on “best practices” for ethics consultation and launching/sustaining ethics consultation services.
Houston Methodist Hospital System
Houston Methodist comprises a leading academic medical center in the Texas Medical Center and six community hospitals serving the Greater Houston area. Each hospital is staffed by committed personnel who exemplify our values of integrity, compassion, accountability, respect, and excellence.
New York – Houston Medical Ethics Consortium
The fellowship is part of the New York-Houston Medical Ethics Consortium, which brings together Houston Methodist Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, and New York-Presbyterian Hospital. The aim of this consortium is to provide fellows an outstanding opportunity in clinical and research ethics by drawing upon transcontinental expertise and varied practice settings.
Tentative start date: July 2, 2018
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.